Bristol Airport customs: Duty Free and Tax Free
When travelling from the EU* to the UK you do not have to pay any tax or duty on goods you have bought in another EU country as long as tax was included in the price when you purchased the items, the items are for your own use, and have beentransported to the UK by you. This includes gifts, but does not include any item that is intended to be used as payment or tobe resold.
If you bring back large quantities of alcohol or tobacco, a Customs Officer is more likely to ask about the purposes for which you hold the goods. This will most likely be the case if you appear at the airport with more than:
- 800 cigarettes, or 400 cigarillos, or 200 cigars, or 1 kg of smoking tobacco
- 110 litres of beer
- 10 litres of spirits
- 90 litres of wine
- 20 litres of fortified wine e.g. port or sherry
* The EU countries currently include: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus (Greek part), Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Irish Republic, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain (but not the Canary Islands), Sweden and the United Kingdom (but not the Channel Islands).
When travelling from outside the EU to the UK you are allowed to bring in the following, provided you travel with the items and do not intend to sell them.
- 200 cigarettes, or 100 cigarillos, or 50 cigars, or 250g of tobacco
- 4 litres of still table wine
- 1 litre of spirits or strong liqueurs over 22% volume; or 2 litres of fortified wine, sparkling wine or other liqueurs
- 16 litres of beer
- up to £390 worth of all other goods including gifts, perfume and souvenirs (£270 if arriving by private plane or private boat)
Duty Free at Bristol Airport
At Bristol Airport World Duty Free can be found immediately after you exit security. You can find a wide range of alcohol, tobacco products, food and other products there.
At Bristol you can take away some of the stress of duty free shopping by opting for their Collect On Return service – simply shop as you normally would but inform the sales attendant that you would like to collect your goods when you return.
You can then leave for your flight without having to worry about extra carry on or space in your luggage, simply collect your goods when you land back at Bristol Airport! This service is only available to those travelling between the EU and the UK.
If you don’t like shopping at the airport, you can also pre-order your shopping online up to 24 hours before you fly. You can then arrive at the airport and pick up your pre-packed shopping!
A good point to note is that if you are flying from Bristol Airport using Ryanair or Easyjet, then you are allowed one bag of shopping in addition to your hand luggage. However, these rules may vary with other airlines.
If you wanted something else, head over to the Shopping page to see what other shops are on hand to keep you (and your bank balance) entertained